- Around 18 months
- Recovery from treatment: 2-4 days
- Risks and complications: Medium
- Anesthetic: Injected
- Procedure Duration: 15 – 20 Minutes
Threading at The CDE:
Threading is a minimally invasive, non-surgical alternative to traditional facial surgery, such as a facelift. As we age, the effects of gravity can cause our skin to sag, droop and develop wrinkles. Many people find these changes aesthetically unappealing and desire a more youthful appearance by tightening their skin. Until now, surgical facelifts were often the only option available. Threading offers a less dramatic, yet still effective, solution. The results are subtle and natural-looking, and the procedure is much simpler than traditional surgery. Additionally, threading stimulates the production of natural collagen in the skin, which can further enhance the results.
Threading can be used to lift various areas of the face, such as the eyebrows, cheeks, and neck. It can also be used to aesthetically alter the face by straightening or lifting the nose, adding volume to the lips, and more. This new advancement in the industry provides patients with a wider range of options for achieving their desired look.
Overall, threading is a safe and effective alternative to surgery for those seeking a more youthful appearance without undergoing extensive surgery or enduring lengthy recovery times. Dr. Zak Schabort’s journey to becoming one of only three South African doctors to become an international Aptos Threads trainer began with a passion for improving the lives of his patients.
Over the years, Dr. Zak and Dr. Pierre have continued to refine their skills and techniques, and they have become some of the most sought-after aesthetic doctors in South Africa. Their dedication to their patients and their passion for their work have earned them widespread recognition in the industry. And Dr. Zak has been invited to share his expertise with other doctors around the world.
In recognition of his exceptional skills and expertise, Dr. Zak was selected to become one of only three South African doctors to become an international Aptos trainer. This prestigious program provides advanced training in facial threading techniques and allows doctors to learn from the best in the industry. At the CDE, we are proud to have been at the forefront of facial threading treatments in South Africa since 2010. Over the years, we have treated thousands of happy clients, and our commitment to providing the highest quality care has never wavered.
Dr. Zak Schabort founded The Cosmetic And Dental Emporium (CDE) in 2010 with a vision to provide the highest quality care and the latest innovations in aesthetic medicine to his patients. The CDE quickly became a leader in the industry, offering a range of treatments to help patients look and feel their best.
Different types of threads used in facial aesthetics and their indications:
- Smooth threads: Non-barbed threads that stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture and elasticity. They are commonly used for mild to moderate skin sagging and fine lines. We have mostly replaced the use of these smooth threads as we find that treatments, for example Sculptra, is more effective to bio-stimulate the skin.
- Barbed threads: Threads with small barbs or hooks that anchor the threads and lift the skin. They are commonly used for moderate to severe skin sagging.
- PDO threads: Synthetic threads made of polydioxanone that are absorbed by the body over time. They stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture and elasticity. PDO threads can be smooth or barbed and are commonly used for mild to moderate skin sagging.
- PCL threads: Synthetic threads made of polycaprolactone that are absorbed by the body over time. They lift and tighten the skin and stimulate collagen production. PCL threads can be smooth or barbed and are commonly used for moderate to severe skin sagging.
- Silhouette threads: Barbed threads made of a biodegradable material that lift and tighten the skin. They are commonly used for moderate to severe skin sagging.
- PLLA threads: Synthetic threads made of poly-L-lactic acid that are absorbed by the body over time. They stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture and elasticity. PLLA threads can be smooth or barbed and are commonly used for mild to moderate skin sagging.
- Aptos threads: Third-generation barbed threads that contain hyaluronic acid (HA), which provides additional hydration and skin rejuvenation benefits. They are commonly used for moderate to severe skin sagging.
The choice of thread type depends on the specific patient and their individual needs. Our qualified and experienced practitioners will be able to determine the best type of thread for each patient.
How does the procedure work?
To begin the threading procedure, a local anaesthetic is administered to the skin as a preparatory step. The actual procedure entails the insertion of a cannula containing a finely crafted absorbable polydioxanone thread, which induces a gentle tension that prompts the skin to tighten and lift in response. The placement of these suture-like threads beneath the skin triggers a natural collagen production response from the body, thereby promoting a self-healing process.
What should I expect from the procedure?
During the procedure, you can anticipate a rejuvenated appearance that can last for two to three years, as well as an increase in natural collagen production. Many individuals who have undergone this treatment report feeling as though they are looking at their reflection from a decade prior and are thrilled with the results. In addition to treating signs of aging, this procedure can also shape and contour the face for a more aesthetically pleasing outcome. The treatment is typically painless and takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the number of threads used.
The PDO threads utilized in this procedure are composed of polydioxanone, and we also employ PLLA threads. These synthetic fibres are similar to those used in medical sutures. Over time, they dissolve into the skin, just like medical sutures, while the results can last for a few years.
What does it feel like?
The procedure promises a revitalized appearance that can endure for 2-3 years, paired with a boost in natural collagen production. Many individuals who have undergone this treatment attest to a transformative experience, likening their post-treatment image to that of their former self from a decade prior. The results are highly acclaimed and celebrated.
It is noteworthy that this procedure serves not only to address aging symptoms but also to contour and enhance facial features in a more aesthetically pleasing manner. Our updated techniques ensure that the procedure is minimally invasive, minimally uncomfortable, and can be completed within 15-20 minutes, contingent on the number of threads employed.
To schedule your next threading procedure appointment, Contact Cape Town Dentist
For more information about threading procedures in Cape Town, or to schedule a consultation, contact The Cape Town Dentist at 021 418 2668. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about our options and help you choose the right treatment plan for your individual needs.
ZAR R3500 per threadVAT incl.
- From as little as one thread per side up to 10 threads per side per session required, to be determined upon consultation
- Specialist: Dr. Pierre & Dr Zak
- Back to work: The same day / The next day